Monday, August 21, 2006


Prague, Day 2.

Ha ha. Well, the Prague Opera is definitely the place to see and be seen. Why, the opera boxes have strategically placed half-mirrors positioned in such a way that you can have a nice view of the rest of the theater, of the boxes, that is, that would be normally obscured by your angle of vision to the stage, so that even with your head turned towards the performance, you can easily check out what the object of your affection seated several boxes away from you is doing by a quick glance at the looking glass.

Neat, huh?

Anyway, the reason I went there tonight (if you know me in person you know full well that I hate operas) was simply because they were giving a performance of Mozart's Don Giovanni using original period costumes and set designs just like when it was premiered in Prague back in 1787 (to great success, I might add). But so what, right? Elisa doesn't like the opera anyway, nor does she like Mozart much, either. But I figured I had to pay my respects to Mozart year 2006, in honor of Mozart's 250th anniversary.

;P

In the morning, I went across the river (it is the Vltava river, not the Elbe or Labe in Czech anymore) to see the Castle, seat of the Prague government, and St. Vitus' Cathedral (which is inside the castle complex).

They're pretty, huh? :)

Anyway, I had a very nice morning stroll across the Charles Bridge which with all its artists was a bit reminiscent of Paris' Montmartre, and Mala Strana, the part of town near the castle with all its shops and host to all the consulates and embassies.

There are so many people here, lots of tourists and youngsters and kids and everything, it is a very cheery place, the old quarters of Prague.

No comments: